Green Zone -- All Clear
In the green zone, your symptoms are under control. You have:
- No shortness of breath
- No swelling
- No weight gain
- No decrease in your ability to maintain your activity level
Continue taking your medications as ordered. Follow a low-salt diet. Keep all of your doctor appointments, and check your weight daily.
Yellow Zone -- Caution
In the yellow zone, these symptoms may indicate you need a medication adjustment. Call your physician if you have any of these signs or symptoms:
- An increase in shortness of breath with activity
- Weight gain of 2 to 3 pounds in one day or 4 to 5 pounds in 5 days
- Increased cough or yellow, green or pink frothy sputum
- Increased foot, ankle, leg or stomach swelling
- Wheezing (a high-pitched noise when breathing in or out)
- Chest pain, heaviness, pressure or discomfort that is relieved by rest or medication
- An increase in the number of pillows needed to sleep, or you need to sit in a chair to sleep
- Reduced energy level or anything else unusual that bothers you
- Feeling lightheaded, dizzy, nauseated or sweaty after taking your medications
Red Zone -- Medical Emergency
This condition is an EMERGENCY! Call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room right away (do not drive yourself).
- You have unrelieved shortness of breath and shortness of breath at rest
- You have unrelieved, new or different chest pain, heaviness, pressure or discomfort
- You feel too dizzy to stand up
Disclaimer: This material provides general information only. It should not be used in place of advice, instructions, or treatment given by your doctor or other health care professional.