- Keep oxygen away from open flames, including cigarettes and gas stoves
- Do not smoke while using oxygen
- Do not use oil or flammable lubricants on any part of the oxygen equipment
- Flammable products (paint thinner, aerosol sprays and cleaning fluids) should be stored and used away from oxygen; it is OK to use small amounts of oil or lotion on your face
- Store the oxygen tank in its holder
- Close the valve on the oxygen tank when you are not using it
- Make sure the oxygen tank is labeled correctly with the word "Oxygen"
- "No Smoking" signs should always be posted in visible locations
- Use oxygen as prescribed by your doctor; never change the flow of oxygen without orders from your doctor
Disclaimer: This material provides general information only. It should not be used in place of the advice, instructions, or treatment given by your doctor or other health care professional.